Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Day # 2 in Zion NP

It was an adventure filled day- we hiked to Scout Lookout and Cleveland attempted to climb on another 1/2 mile to Angel''s Landing. I didn't even try (well, I did but as soon as there was no chain to hang on to, I was out of the game!) but he gave it a good go!! You'd have to see where the trail goes to understand. I am sure if you looked it up there are photos of Angel's landing. It follows a ridge where at one point there is only the narrow ridge and a chain. It was very windy and crowded so it was hard to focus on your climb. You had to be watching out for the other climbers especially the fearless ones that just breezed up the trail. And the kids- I cannot believe parents would bring their children on this trail. Once he made it back down, he had to collect himself as he was a bit shaken by the whole experience. He was leaning over the edge to see how far down it was, lost his balance and rolled into a cactus bush- ouch! Now he was shaken up and had a leg and hand full of cactus spines! I tried to pull them out of his pants but they just got stuck in my hand. Once back at the hotel, I took the tweezers to him! We continued hiking along West Rim trail that has no end- literally our map showed it just going off the edge of the map. But it was much quieter, fewer people and beautiful weather so we walked and walked and walked....etc. Now back at the hotel we are in recovery mode- I am nursing blisters and Cleve is just sore!!










Above is the easy part of the hike- 2 miles of very steep trail that we had to ascend and descend. I couldn't get a good photo of Angels Landing, but that 1/2 mile section is the very difficult part.

Tomorrow we'll leave Zion and head to Bryce NP. We'll be staying at the Bryce Canyon Lodge in the park so it should be a real treat!!

No comments:

Post a Comment